This website is operated by the Sandy Hill Town and Gown Committee, a joint City and community organization within the City of Ottawa, and Councillor Mathieu Fleury, who is the current Councillor for the Rideau-Vanier Ward. The purpose of the website is to facilitate the reporting of noise complaints by Sandy Hill residents to residential landlords of properties in Sandy Hill.

For a map of Sandy Hill click here.

Cliquez ici pour le site français.

If you are a landlord who wants to register your rental buildings in Sandy Hill, please click here.

If you are a landlord or property manager who wants more information about dealing with noise complaints, please visit the EOLO website by clicking here.

If you want to report a noise complaint, you should first report it to the City by calling 311. After Bylaw and Regulatory Services has responded, and has given you a report number, then you can also report your complaint here. You have the option to report anonymously or to report leaving us your name and contact information. The implications of that choice are explained below.

To begin, please choose from one of the following options:

Submit a report providing full contact information, click here.
Submit an anonymous report, click here.

Choosing full contact or anonymous
Sandy Hill Town and Gown Committee encourages you to report your name and contact information. That way if more information is needed to act on your noise complaint, the appropriate person can contact you to ask you. In addition, if the noise complaint results in an application to the Landlord and Tenant Board to terminate a tenant’s tenancy,  the landlord can contact you to arrange for you to be a witness in that proceeding. For a proceeding against the tenant to succeed for excess noise (or other faults) it is necessary that evidence be given by a person who has actually heard the noise themselves and can describe it and answer questions about it.

If, on the other hand, you report without leaving your name and contact information, no one can follow up with you for more information, and a landlord cannot use your information in an application to terminate a tenant’s tenancy. (The landlord can use credible noise complaints as the basis for a notice of termination to the tenant which usually gives them the opportunity to rectify their behavior by stopping making the excess noise.)

What will happen with your information?

The Committee will forward a report of your information to the owner of the property about which you are complaining. The Committee will also provide that property owner with information as to how they can take action to seek to stop the excess noise from the property they own.The information may also be gathered and used in statistical summaries or reports.

This is a pilot project which will be assessed to determine how useful it has been and to decide whether to continue this reporting website on an ongoing basis.